Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This apple pie is so good you'll tell yourself a fairy tale about how all the calories have been magically cooked out so you can have a second piece. Although time consuming this prize-winning recipe (originally printed in a newspaper) is delicious with an adult sauce that is optional.
- 133.10 ml chilled butter, divided
- 709.77 ml flour, divided
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml chilled Crisco (or other shortening)
- 88.74 ml ice water
- 1814.36 g golden delicious apples (about 10)
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml cinnamon
- 1 lemon, optional
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 59.16 ml flour
- 78.07 ml butter
- 1 egg yolk, mixed with
- 14.79 ml milk
- 236.59 ml sugar (optional)
- 118.29 ml butter, cut into tablespoons (optional)
- 236.59 ml heavy cream (optional)
- 4.92 ml vanilla (optional)
- 29.58 ml dark rum (may use brandy or bourbon instead) (optional)
- To make crust: Preheat oven to 400-degrees F.
- Mix butter, flour and salt with pastry blender or two knifes until it is crumbly and consistency of fine meal.
- Cut in shortening until it resembles peas.
- Add ice water and mix with pastry blender until it holds together.
- Form into ball, divide in half and refrigerate.
- Roll one half of dough into a large circle--large enough to overlap a 9-inch pie pan.
- Place pastry in bottom of pie pan.
- Dot with remaining tablespoon of butter and 2 teaspoons of flour.
- Roll out top crust in same manner between sheets of plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate both while making filling.
- To make filling: Peel, core and slice apples.
- Put apples in bowl and add sugar and cinnamon.
- Let stand until sugar dissolves.
- Optional: if apples are dry add juice of one lemon.
- Add vanilla.
- Stir to mix well.
- Add flour and toss.
- Pour filling into pie shell and dot with butter.
- Cover with top crust, crimping edges.
- Make slashes in top crust and brush with egg wash.
- Tent with foil and bake for 1-1/2 hours, removing foil during last 5 minutes of baking.
- To make (optional) caramel-rum sauce: Melt sugar in saucepan over med-high heat until sugar is melted and light brown.
- Add butter one tablespoon at a time until melted.
- Turn off heat.
- Add cream, salt, vanilla and rum (or other liquor if using).
- To serve: Drizzle pie slices with caramel-rum sauce and vanilla ice-cream.
A fitting name for a magical pie! Good stuff ellie!