1 hr 30 mins
This apple pie is so good you'll tell yourself a fairy tale about how all the calories have been magically cooked out so you can have a second piece. Although time consuming this prize-winning recipe (originally printed in a newspaper) is delicious with an adult sauce that is optional.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 tablespoons chilled butter, divided
- 3 cups flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chilled Crisco (or other shortening)
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- 4 lbs golden delicious apples (about 10)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 lemon, optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1To make crust: Preheat oven to 400-degrees F.
- 2Mix butter, flour and salt with pastry blender or two knifes until it is crumbly and consistency of fine meal.
- 3Cut in shortening until it resembles peas.
- 4Add ice water and mix with pastry blender until it holds together.
- 5Form into ball, divide in half and refrigerate.
- 6Roll one half of dough into a large circle--large enough to overlap a 9-inch pie pan.
- 7Place pastry in bottom of pie pan.
- 8Dot with remaining tablespoon of butter and 2 teaspoons of flour.
- 9Roll out top crust in same manner between sheets of plastic wrap.
- 10Refrigerate both while making filling.
- 11To make filling: Peel, core and slice apples.
- 12Put apples in bowl and add sugar and cinnamon.
- 14Let stand until sugar dissolves.
- 15Optional: if apples are dry add juice of one lemon.
- 16Add vanilla.
- 17Stir to mix well.
- 18Add flour and toss.
- 19Pour filling into pie shell and dot with butter.
- 20Cover with top crust, crimping edges.
- 21Make slashes in top crust and brush with egg wash.
- 22Tent with foil and bake for 1-1/2 hours, removing foil during last 5 minutes of baking.
- 23To make (optional) caramel-rum sauce: Melt sugar in saucepan over med-high heat until sugar is melted and light brown.
- 24Add butter one tablespoon at a time until melted.
- 25Turn off heat.
- 26Add cream, salt, vanilla and rum (or other liquor if using).
- 27To serve: Drizzle pie slices with caramel-rum sauce and vanilla ice-cream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fairy Tale Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (3805 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 7354.9
- Calories from Fat 3439
- Total Fat 382.2 g
- Saturated Fat 169.8 g
- Cholesterol 628.2 mg
- Sodium 2382.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 980.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 63.4 g
- Sugars 590.8 g
- Protein 52.9 g