Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This apple pie is so good you'll tell yourself a fairy tale about how all the calories have been magically cooked out so you can have a second piece. Although time consuming this prize-winning recipe (originally printed in a newspaper) is delicious with an adult sauce that is optional.
- 9 tablespoons chilled butter, divided
- 3 cups flour, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chilled Crisco (or other shortening)
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- 4 lbs golden delicious apples (about 10)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 lemon, optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup sugar (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into tablespoons (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dark rum (may use brandy or bourbon instead) (optional)
- To make crust: Preheat oven to 400-degrees F.
- Mix butter, flour and salt with pastry blender or two knifes until it is crumbly and consistency of fine meal.
- Cut in shortening until it resembles peas.
- Add ice water and mix with pastry blender until it holds together.
- Form into ball, divide in half and refrigerate.
- Roll one half of dough into a large circle--large enough to overlap a 9-inch pie pan.
- Place pastry in bottom of pie pan.
- Dot with remaining tablespoon of butter and 2 teaspoons of flour.
- Roll out top crust in same manner between sheets of plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate both while making filling.
- To make filling: Peel, core and slice apples.
- Put apples in bowl and add sugar and cinnamon.
- Let stand until sugar dissolves.
- Optional: if apples are dry add juice of one lemon.
- Add vanilla.
- Stir to mix well.
- Add flour and toss.
- Pour filling into pie shell and dot with butter.
- Cover with top crust, crimping edges.
- Make slashes in top crust and brush with egg wash.
- Tent with foil and bake for 1-1/2 hours, removing foil during last 5 minutes of baking.
- To make (optional) caramel-rum sauce: Melt sugar in saucepan over med-high heat until sugar is melted and light brown.
- Add butter one tablespoon at a time until melted.
- Turn off heat.
- Add cream, salt, vanilla and rum (or other liquor if using).
- To serve: Drizzle pie slices with caramel-rum sauce and vanilla ice-cream.
A fitting name for a magical pie! Good stuff ellie!