Recipe by Kit_Kat
This is from BH&G Christmas Cookies magazine from 1999. I have yet to try it, but I have marked it every year. Maybe 2007 fill be the year.
Top Review by damnaimee
My mom and I got this recipe out of BH&G when I was in high school (~1991). We made it all the time but then I left home and lost track of the recipe til this Christmas. It was just as great as I remember - my fav Christmas cookie. My mom did remind me that we cut the oil back to 3/4 cup because the dough was WAY oily the first time we made it.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- colored sugar sprinkle
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter on medium for 30 seconds.
- Add granulated sugar, powdered sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar and 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in oil and eggs and extract until combined.
- Beat in as much of the flour as as you can.
- Stir in remaining flour by hand.
- cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Scoop dough into rounded spoonfuls.
- Roll into balls.
- Place balls on ungreased cookie sheet.
- With bottom of a glass or a cookie stamp, gently flatten until about 1/4 inch thick.
- Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Prep time does not include chilling time.