Recipe by Trinkets
Every self respecting Southern lady must have the perfect recipe for fried chicken and I claim this one. I found it in the cookbook named Square Table, A Collection of Recipes from Oxford, Mississippi. The cooking time includes marinating in a brine overnight.
Top Review by mersaydees
Made as directed, except that I used a roaster, so had to cook my chicken parts much longer. Thanks, Trinkets, as this one won my DH's stomach and heart! Made for US Regional Cookbook Tag.
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse chicken and place in a large baking dish or ziploc bag.
- Cover with water and sprinkle with salt.(approx. 1 TBS per 3 lbs of chicken).
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Drain, rinse, and pat dry.
- In a shallow bowl, beat eggs with buttermilk.
- In a separate shallow bowl, combine flour with salt and pepper to taste. (Here is where I either add just salt and lots of pepper, or I use Emeril's Creole Seasonings, from this site).
- Drain chicken pieces and dredge in egg mixture, then flour mixture.
- In a heavy large skillet over high heat, pour enough oil to cover chicken.
- Heat until flour sprinkled in the pan causes grease to splatter.
- Turn heat to medium.
- Add chicken, and fry chicken, uncovered, until brown on one side, 5-8 minutes.
- Turn chicken to brown on the other side. Larger pieces will take longer.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.