Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Chef Michael O'Neill of Fairway Market, New York City.
Top Review by mewolcott412_5912130
This was very good. I used 1/2 cup whole milk, and 2 1/2 half and half. Tillamook extra sharp cheddar and Comte' cheese. Rich and delicious. I think some cayenne or hot sauce next time would be good. Easy to make and easy to bake! I use buttered Panko Crumbs on top. 1/4 cup.
- 2 tablespoons butter (plus extra for the pan)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 4 cups shredded wisconsin extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded french comte cheese
- kosher salt
- fresh ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°; butter a 13x9 inch baking pan generously.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boiling over high heat; cook the macaroni until al dente (8-10 minutes); drain, then transfer to a large bowl.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the 2 tablespoons butter; whisk in the flour, mixing well so there are no lumps.
- Slowly whisk in the half-and-half; increase heat to med-high, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add in the cheeses,lower heat to medium, and whisk well to incorporate.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the sauce to the macaroni; mix well to combine.
- Transfer mixture to the baking pan; sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and golden.