Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I had this at our office Thanksgiving potluck yesterday - it's so good! My preferred chicken salad has always been super, super simple - chicken, celery, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt - not really a big fan of grapes, pecans or apples in chicken salad. Everyone at work enjoyed this recipe, and my co-worker told me it was a Southern Living recipe.
- 3 lbs boneless skinned chicken breasts
- 1 (49 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped water chestnut, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 cups mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- Place chicken breasts in a large skillet; add chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer, covered, 30 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from skillet, and let stand 15 minutes or until cool to touch. Shred chicken.
- Combine shredded chicken, celery, water chestnuts, and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir together mayonnaise, ground red pepper, salt, and white pepper until well blended; spoon over shredded chicken mixture, stirring to coat. Cover and chill at least 4 hours.