Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This makes two loaves of long baguette type French bread that has wonderful flavor and is so easy to make!
- Place ingredients in bread machine according to manufacturers directions.
- Start machine on dough setting.
- When dough cycle is complete, remove dough with floured hands and cut in half on floured surface.
- Take each half of dough and roll to make a loaf about 12 inches long in the shape of French bread.
- Place on greased baking sheet and cover with a towel.
- Let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown, turning pan around once halfway during baking.
- Remove baked loaves to wire racks to cool.
This bread is the BEST! The flavor is perfectly balanced, just the right amount of salt, and the crust especially is amazing- slightly crisp, but not in the least bit heavy... I made the bread as instructed. Some people might find it helpful to know that 1/4 ounce package is equal to 2 1/4 teaspoons of active dry yeast (I buy my bread machine yeast in bulk). Thanks so much for a great recipe ; )
I have made this twice in the last week. The first time the bread tasted great, but it was not like "french" bread. It was good but not crunchy enough. I read in a cooking magazine that you need to spray the bread with hot water just prior to putting it the oven. Then spray 10 sprays all around the oven walls (not the lightbulb!) close the oven wait 30 seconds and repeat. Now that made some seriously crunchy bread! Thanks for the recipe!
Amazing crispy crust just as french bread should be! I made two batches of french bread (two different recipes). The first was good, but when everyone got a piece of THIS it was like they were experiencing bread for the first time. Thanks for making grandma look good at the dinner table. All three grandkids quickly ate their spaghetti so they could have more bread. This was a winner and a keeper!