Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These delicious meatballs can be made without the caul(pig apron) but it does help to retain moisture and gives an authentic taste. Best served with mashed potatoes or Pease Pudding - Yummy. This recipe is from Gary Rhode's Classic British Cookery.
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh sage leaf, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 pint beef, jus
- 6 ounces lean topside beef or 6 ounces rump steak
- 6 ounces beef heart, trimmed
- 6 ounces ox kidney, trimmed
- 6 ounces lamb liver, trimmed
- 1 egg
- 1 lb pig apron, soaked in water for 24 hours
- 2 pints beef stock
- 1 ounce beef dripping
- Cook the chopped onions, garlic and herbs in the butter until soft. Add the beef jus and boil to reduce by half. Leave to cool and allow to set in fridge.
- Mince the meat through a medium cutter, then place into the bowl of a food mixer and beat slowly adding salt and pepper to taste. The salt will thicken the meat, giving a gelatinous texture. Add the egg and the reduced cooled onion mixture. Chill for 2-3 hours till firm.
- Squeeze any excess water from the caul and cut into 8inch squares. Spoon about 3 oz of the faggot mix into the centre of each square and wrap and turn the caul around the meat to form firm ball shapes.
- When you are ready to cook he faggots, warm the beef stock. Fry the faggots in the dripping until brown on all sides, then place them in the stock and simmer very gently for 12-15 mins until just starting to firm up. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to rest.
- The faggots can now be allowed to cool, left in the cooking liquor and chilled. The liquor will set like a jelly and the faggots can be kept in the fridge for up to a week.
- When you want to serve the faggots, warm them gently in the jelly for 15-20 minutes To serve lift from liquor and top with onion gravy.