Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is one where you have to close your eyes and not think about the calories: it's rich and delicious and much-anticipated at Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners!
- 1⁄2 cup dry wild rice, prepared
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) bag seasoned bread crumbs or 1 (16 ounce) bag seasoned stuffing mix
- 1 (16 ounce) pork sausage (I use Jimmy Dean regular)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup melted butter
- garlic powder
- poultry seasoning
- Mix bread crumbs and wild rice in a large bowl.
- Saute celery and onions in butter; add to crumbs.
- Fry sausage; add to crumbs.
- Pour chicken broth and melted butter over all and mix thoroughly.
- Season to taste (this is my favorite part :) with garlic, thyme, poultry seasoning and sage.
- Stuff bird cavity loosely and roast; bake the rest in a casserole dish at 350oF for 30 to 45 minutes.
- You can baste it with pan drippings if you wish; I love to get the sort of crunchy crust this produces.