Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A really great vegetarian chili, I like to add in 1 or 2 jalapeno peppers and/or crushed chili flakes
Top Review by Bergy
This is a very tasty chili I omitted the tofu because I served broiled tofu along side. I also served the chili on an omelet. It was so delicious. Thanks Kitten for another do again recipe
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 cups unpeeled unseeded fresh tomatoes
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 lb firm tofu, rinsed, patted dry and crumbled
- 2 cups water (or can use vegetable broth)
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 teaspoons salt (I use seasoned salt)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a 5-qt Dutch oven.
- Add onions, green peppers and carrots; sauté over med heat until tender.
- Add fresh tomatoes, garlic, beans, crushed tomatoes, tofu, water, corn, salt, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper.
- Simmer for 45-60 minutes or until done, stirring often, adjusting all seasonings to suit taste.
- About halfway through cooking time season with black pepper and more salt if needed.