Silent Rain's Note:
A favorite family recipe I created many years ago. I thought I would post it to share with you all. If after you let the sauce simmer and feel you need to, add salt to taste but it is up to your discretion. Please go lightly on the salt!...The pork sausage is already seasoned. We enjoyed it just the way it is. My family used all the optional toppings! I hope you enjoy it as much as we have. :) We sometimes put cooked beans between the tostada and the pork sauce and then finish with the other toppings. If large tortillas are not available, make 6-8 tostadas using the smaller tortillas.
My Private Note
large t ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb bob evans original pork sausage, in a roll
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (8 ounce) jar taco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (to taste)
- cooking oil
- 4 corn tortillas (I used flour) or 4 flour tortillas, about 7-inch diameter (I used flour)
- 3 -4 cups shredded lettuce
- cooked leftover great northern bean (if using refried beans please watch sodium content. I used the leftover northern beans) (optional)
- 1/2-1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (optional) or 1/2-1 cup cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 medium size tomatoes, cut into thin wedges (optional) or 1 medium diced onion (optional)
- 1/2-1 cup sour cream
- sliced black olives (optional)
- additional taco sauce (optional)
- 1In skillet, lightly brown sausage and onion. Drain grease from pan. Add taco sauce and chili powder; cover and cook over low heat 15 minutes or until pork is done and flavors blend.
- 2Heat about 1/8 inch oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Fry tortillas, one at a time, turning frequently until crisp, slightly puffed and lightly browned. Drain on paper towels.
- 3For each serving place a crisp tortilla on a plate. Top with layer of beans (optional), hot pork mixture (about 2/3 cup), layer of lettuce, and any or all optional ingredients.
- 4Serve with additional taco sauce, if desired.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fabulous Tostadas With Pork
Serving Size: 1 (335 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 504.5
- Calories from Fat 334
- Total Fat 37.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 94.3 mg
- Sodium 1131.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 20.9 g