veg head 4-ever's Note:
Ok, this one might be a hard sell for the tofu first-timers, but every veg head knows this recipe as a standard way to bread and pan-fry tofu. I first heard it from my friend's Mom (a lifetime vegetarian) when I was 16 years old. I've seen a variation of it in the "New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook" as well. Veg head or not, give it a try, its pretty fabulous and delicious. fyi: Nutritional yeast is a non-active yeast loaded with B vitamins and protein, and it tastes a little cheesy, and little bread-like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat a big flat pan to medium/medium high heat with olive oil (and butter if you want).
- 2Drain the tofu block and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut the tofu widthwise into about 16 thin slices (about half the thickness of a slice of bread).
- 3Bread each slice of tofu with nutritional yeast, make sure each piece is really well coated before placing it in the pan.
- 4Cook the tofu until the edges are golden brown, then flip over and cook the other side the same. Salt and pepper to taste while in the pan.
- 5Serve on toast with tamari or soy sauce for dipping.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fabulous Tofu With Delicious Nutritional Yeast
Serving Size: 1 (137 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.5
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 30.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 22.1 g