Recipe by Katchick
I've made these mushrooms many times, and always they are gobbled up and I'm asked for the recipe. My brother in law says they're "To Die For". I adapted this recipe from the deviled crab recipe in The Joy of Cooking cookbook. Enjoy!!!!
- 3 (8 ounce) packages white button mushrooms
- 3 (6 ounce) cans crabmeat
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled saltine crackers
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or red pepper)
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb shredded monterey jack cheese (pending on how much you like)
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean mushrooms and remove stems.
- Place in 13 X 9 baking dish as closely as you can, as they will shrink some during cooking process.
- Drain crabmeat, flake and set aside.
- Saute onions, celery and bell pepper in butter until onions are slightly golden brown.
- Add cracker crumbs and milk and cook until thick.
- Remove from heat, and add beaten eggs, salt, mustard, cayenne and black pepper Stir.
- Add crabmeat. The mixture should look like a thick batter. Add more cracker crumbs if needed.
- Spoon mixture into mushroom caps until you've used all of the mixture. Fill 'em up!
- Bake at 400 degrees until the peaks of the stuffing are lightly browned.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and bake until cheese is melted.
- Note: The filling can be made the day before and stored in the refrigerator until ready to stuff mushrooms.