This steak sandwich is one fantastic eating experience. With fresh spinach, crunchy cucmbers, and a tasty green goddess spread, it's like a sandwich and salad all rolled into one! ; First off - choose the right bread. Use a fresh artisan loaf one that is crafted (rather than mass produced) with a crispy crust and a soft, chewy interior. Ciabatta or focaccia are ideal. Secondly, the green goddess spread - it gives the sandwich personality.:) The tarragon (not one of my favorites!) in it asserts lots of fresh herb flavor, while the scallion packs an extra "green" punch. We made two green goddess spreads one with the tarragon and one with basil - while not traditional in green goddess, the basil will still add herb flavor. : CuisineAtHome, Issue 82, August 2010 edition.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
GREEN GODDESS SPREAD
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 scallions, chopped on an angle
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar or 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon anchovy paste
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Preheat grill to medium-high.
- 2Puree mayonnaise, cream cheese, scallions, tarragon, vinegar, Dijon, and anchovy paste in a food processor.
- 3Season with salt and black pepper.
- 4Coat steak with oil and season with salt and lots of black pepper; set aside.
- 5Grill steak covered, 3-4 minutes per side for medium rare.
- 6Remove steak from grill, tent with foil, and rest 5 minutes.
- 7Slice steak against the grain into thin strips.
- 8Reduce grill heat to low.
- 9Brush cut side of bread lightly with oil; season with salt and pepper.
- 10Grill bread cut side down, covered, until lightly toasted 1-2 minutes.
- 11TO SERVE:.
- 12Spread green goddess on the cut side of bottom bread.
- 13Layer with spinach, steak strips and cucumber, then top with remaining bread.
- 14Cut into 4 serving.
- 15E N J O Y!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fabulous Steak Sandwich W/Spinach/Cucumbers/Green Goddess Spread
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 449.6
- Calories from Fat 329
- Total Fat 36.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 99.9 mg
- Sodium 265.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 22.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: