1/1 Photo of Fabulous Shamrock Sugar Cookies
1 hr 15 mins
Um Safia's Note:
These are fantastic cookies to have for celebrating St. Patricks Day in style! If you don't have a shamrock cookie cutter then draw a shamrock onto a piece of thick card, cut out & use as a template. You can make these ahead of time & freeze (un-iced). Time to make doesn't include chilling time. The kids love to help out in the kitchen when we make these.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Emerald Isle Icing
- 1Mix flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and nutmeg; set aside. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually stir in flour mixture until well mixed. Refrigerate dough about 1 hour or until firm.
- 2Preheat oven to 375°F Roll out dough on lightly floured surface* to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut out dough with shamrock cookie cutter. Place on greased baking sheets.
- 3Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool on baking sheets 1 minute. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- 4For the Icing, mix green food color and milk. Add confectioners' sugar, stirring until color is evenly distributed and icing is smooth.
- 5To decorate cookies, hold cookie by its edge and dip top of cookie into icing. (Or spoon the icing onto cookie using a teaspoon.) Place glazed cookies on wire rack set over foil-covered baking sheet to dry.
- 6I like the 3 decorations styles:
- 71- cover the whole top surface in green icing.
- 82 - cover the whole top surface in white icing then pipe green as an outline.
- 93 - Cover the whole top surface with white icing & cover with candy sprinkles (allow the icing to set for a few minutes before adding the sprinkles so they don't absorb moisture & leach their colour).
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fabulous Shamrock Sugar Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (857 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 95.3
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 17.5 mg
- Sodium 66.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 1.0 g