1/5 Photos of Fabulous Penne a La Vodka
1 hr 15 mins
This is the best Penne a la Vodka I have ever had! I cannot even order it in restaurants anymore, since it will never stand up to this fantastic recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes
- 1.23 ml dried oregano
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped or 0.59 ml dried basil leaves
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground pepper
- 118.32 ml butter, divided
- 340.19 g fresh white mushrooms, quartered, about 3 cups
- 0.59 ml crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 118.29 ml vodka
- 709.77 ml heavy cream
- 14.79 ml kosher salt
- 680.38 g rigatoni pasta or 680.38 g penne
- 59.14 ml dry parmesan cheese, plus additional for the table
- 1Heat the oil in a large saucepan; when hot, saute the onions until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes to the saucepan.
- 2Stir in the oregano, basil, salt and pepper and simmer 1 hour to concentrate flavors.
- 3While the sauce is cooking, heat 4 T of the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Saute the mushrooms and hot pepper flakes until the mushrooms are golden.
- 4Carefully add the vodka and simmer for 5 minutes to cook off the alcohol.
- 5Add the heavy cream and bring to a simmer; pour the cream mixture into the tomato puree; stir to mix. Keep the sauce warm while cooking the pasta.
- 6Add the kosher salt to 6 quarts of water. Bring to a rolling boil. Add pasta to boiling water; cook uncovered until pasta is al dente, about 12 minutes. Drain well.
- 7Melt the remaining 4 T of butter in a large skillet. Stir in pasta to glaze, then add Parmesan cheese and mix thoroughly. Stir in 1/3 or the sauce and mix with the pasta; divide among plates. Top each plate with some additional sauce; pass remaining sauce and additional cheese at the table.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fabulous Penne a La Vodka
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1127.7
- Calories from Fat 616
- Total Fat 68.4 g
- Saturated Fat 39.6 g
- Cholesterol 303.1 mg
- Sodium 1996.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 24.5 g