Recipe by WJKing
THIS is SO yummy! Perfect served alongside fresh fruit and a green salad. ENJOY! Prep. time doesn't include rising times.
Top Review by Marie Nixon
I made this for my husband to bring to a pot luck so unfortunately, I was not able to actually taste it. I made the dough in my bread maker. It took about 3 1/4c. of flour to get the dough to the correct consistency. Based on Vicki Kaye's review, I increased the 2nd rising time. I let the dough rise for about 45 minutes. It really is a show stopper coming out of the oven. I was disappointed, however, because as it cooled, the top of the bread deflated from being dome shaped to flat. I am sure it did not affect the flavor.
- 2 (14.17 g) package active dry yeast
- 236.59 ml warm milk
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine, softened
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 709.77-946.36 ml all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 946.36 ml finely chopped muenster cheese (1 lb.)
- 1 egg white, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in milk.
- Add butter, sugar, salt& 2 c.
- flour; beat until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, beat egg and yolk; stir in cheese.
- Punch down dough; roll into a 14-16" circle.
- Place in a greased 9" round cake pan, letting dough drape over the edges of the pan.
- Spoon the cheese mixture into the center of the dough.
- Gather dough up over filling in 1 1/2" pleats.
- Gently squeeze pleats together at the top and twist to make a top knot.
- Allow to rise 10-15 minutes.
- Brush loaf with egg white.
- Bake at 375 for 45-50 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Serve warm.