Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
This fabulous classic pound cake is anything but boring. Moist and delicious, the way pound cake should be. Adapted from Montreal pastry chef, Marcy Goldman. MAKE AHEAD: Wrapped in foil the cake will keep in the refrigerator for 1 week or frozen for up to 2 months.
Top Review by Marie
I have really been into pound cakes lately and this one sure is fantastic! This is the first time I have used my food processor for making a cake and it worked great. Thanks so much for sharing this excellent recipe that I will use again and again.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened, plus
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch process
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup milk
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray an 8" X 4" bread pan with non-stick cooking spray and line the pan with parchment paper. Spray the paper.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter with the cocoa and blend until smooth.
- Using a food processor, mix the softened butter with the granulated sugar. When combined, add eggs and vanilla and continue to process until creamy. Add the dry ingredients and pulse until JUST combined. Finally, add cream and process until smooth. Add 1 cup of this batter to the bowl with the cocoa and stir until smooth.
- Pour half of the remaining batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon. Spread the chocolate batter in the pan and then top with the rest of the batter. Using a butter knife, decoratively cut 5 swirls in the batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350°. Reduce the temperature to 325° and bake for an additional 25 minutes. Loosely cover with foil and bake 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until the top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached. Let the pound cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.