Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Apron Strings blog did a great article about the merit of marinades using lime zest as opposed to lime juice. For an interesting read see here: http://www.apronstringsblog.com/the-most-flavorful-fajitas-ever-flanks-steak-or-chicken-breast/ . This makes enough marinade for 1 1/2 pounds chicken or flank steak. This same marinade may, also, be used to marinade the accompanying onions and sweet peppers. Time includes just prep time to make the marinade.
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1⁄4 red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks or 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Reserve about 1-2 tablespoons marinade for the vegetables and the remainder for the steak. Place steak and vegetables in separate ziploc bags. Add the amount of marinade to each bag as suggested, then seal and massage until evely coated. An hour of marinate time is sufficient for the vegetables, longer for the steak, if desired. Remove meat from marinade and lightly wipe away the excess.
- Grill on high heat about until done. Allow to rest for about 5-10 minutes.
- To serve, place grilled meat and vegetables on wamed tortillas and top with cheese and avocado.
Oh, so good! The bright lime zest and the smokey chipotles are a wonderful combo. Made no changes to the recipe; used on 400 g of chicken breasts, marinated for about five hours and cooked on the grill - a delicious dinner! Thank you for sharing!