Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe makes a loaf of bread that is high rising, soft textured, slices well, and keeps well too. All the qualities we get in store bought bread but, warm and fresh out of the bread machine, at a fraction of the cost too. I make this recipe 3 to 4 times a week. You will love this!!!
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey (stir spoon around in warm milk to get all the honey)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter flavor shortening
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups white flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons bread machine yeast (or amount specified by yeast for 3 cups flour)
- Place ingredients in bread pan in order specified by your manual.
- Use the white bread and light crust setting.
- Press start.
- Your dough should be slightly tacky to the touch and soft when you press down on it, like playdoe when you first open it. If too dry add warm milk 1 teaspoon at a time. If too wet add white flour 1 Tablespoon at a time.
WOW. I love the texture and taste. The softness and density was just right and sliced beautifully without falling apart. The flavor was great...some breads just don't seem to have much flavor. Followed the recipe except for I used 1 c. of white bread flour and 2 c. AP flour. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I will make it often.
This is a great recipe! The only things I did different was up the amount of milk, honey, and yeast. I ended up using 1-1/2 cups of milk, about 2 tblsp of clover honey, and somewhere around 2 tsp of yeast. Oh! And I used 1/2 tblsp of unsalted butter and 1 tblsp of shortening (since I did not have butterflavored shortening on hand). This is an absolute great recipe to keep though! Thanks for sharing it!
I made this in my bread machine. I put the (whole) milk, honey and sugar in first with the yeast and let it set for about 10 minutes. Then I added my flour and butter. I always use wheat bran in bread. I like the texture. I added way more honey (probably triple) and about 3 Tbs of raw organic sugar. My daughter loves it and I love the texture. Best bread yet! I have a few modifications to make next time as it rose too much and the top collapsed a bit but nonetheless yummy bread.