Recipe by Karyl Lee
a long term Raspberry's favorite, this is a periodically revised recipe that originated with a specialty vegetarian cookbook.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 4 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup raw wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup agave syrup (or honey)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pineapple in juice (not syrup)
- 2 3⁄4 lbs peeled and shredded sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the oat bran, wheat bran, wheat germ, raisins, syrup, pineapple, sweet potatoes, water and vanilla all in one LARGE bowl.
- Stir this very well, it will be quite thick.
- Sift the flours and the leavening and spices together.
- Combine the flour blend with the sweet potato mixture, you may want to make partial additions and stir well between.
- Grease the muffin tin (12 extra large cups).
- and fill the cups well, mounding the mixture quite high.
- The oven gets set to 350 degrees.
- Place the pan in the middle of the oven, well centered and bake for 40 minutes, checking to make sure the muffin is quite set, and not quivery at all.
- If it seems a little loose, bake another 8 minutes, and turn the oven off.
- They may stand in the over for 10 minutes.
- Then you can cool them and remove from the pan as soon as your patience is gone LOL.
- I have been known to wrap them within 15 minutes after removal from the oven but you need tough hands for that.
- These freeze extremely well.
- Net weight on a single muffin is about a half pound, so if you are hungry after eating one, I will be amazed.
- Hope you enjoy them!