Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
We love having chicken spiedini at a local italian restaurant. I found this recipe in our local newspaper and gave it a try. We thought it was great and I hope you will too. It's a good choice for a summer cook-out. If I am short on time, I prepare the chicken as directed, but skip the rolling/skewering and simply grill it. Just as tasty and very easy.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2⁄3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (see note)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (see note)
- Place chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap; pound chicken gently with mallet until very thin (about 1/8 inch thick).
- On waxed paper, combine bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, lemon peel and garlic.
- In shallow dish, combine olive oil and melted butter.
- Dip chicken into butter mixture; coat with crumb mixture.
- Tightly roll up and secure with wooden toothpicks, if needed.
- Cut into 1-inch-thick pieces; thread onto metal skewer.
- Remove wooden picks.
- Repeat with remaining chicken.
- To grill; Place skewers on lightly greased grid over medium hot coals.
- Cover and grill for 5 minutes per side or until chicken is cooked through.
- Note: To reduce fat and calories, substitute 1/4 cup buttermilk for the butter/oil mixture.
I may have been to the same restaurant as Chris from Kansas. This recipe is great. Served it to my supper club and made fans out them too. There is some technique to learn with regard to grilling with panko. If too hot, the bread will burn before the chicken is cooked through. A little char though can be a good thing. I think the skewering is worth the extra effort as I've not been able to duplicate the quality when skipping that.
My wife loves the Spiedini at Garizzo's in Columbus Park KC so much I thought I would try this recipe, she was ecstatic, says she could not tell the difference. I topped it off with some Ragu sauce with 2 red hot peppers chopped into it and it was just like the spicy red sauce they serve.
this was a very easy recipe. I substituted different things to the recipe . each time I did this experiment. this recipe will be a mainstay for sure