Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Source: Betty Crocker NOTE: Cookie mix used is 2 pouches (1 lb 1.5 oz each) of Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix
- 2 (17 1/2 ounce) envelopesbetty crocker sugar cookie mix
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, stir base ingredients until soft dough forms.
- Press half of dough in bottom of pan.
- Spread pie filling over dough.
- Drop remaining dough by teaspoonfuls over filling.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- In small bowl, stir glaze ingredients until smooth.
- If necessary, add additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until thin enough to drizzle.
- Drizzle glaze over warm bars.
- For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows.
- Store covered at room temperature.
I LOVE THIS RECIPE!!! I think it is one of the most versatile desert recipes I've found! I've used it a dozen times and I have used apricot, apple, strawberry, peach, blueberry, blackberry and even a sweetened cream cheese dropped in to make it in several different ways. My next plan is to make it with a pumpkin pie mix for a holiday flair. I usually leave the frosting off and it works just as well without the frosting drizzled on it. Another variation is to put it in a normal cake pan (makes it thicker and more cake-like) and serve it as a desert cake rather than as bars. A little vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and its a huge hit!
I made this over Christmas and my family loved it. I am not a cherry fan, so next time I will try it using apple pie filling!