2 hrs 25 mins
Gabby Abby's Note:
Delicious and warm, crusty and suprisingly easy -- this recipe will quickly become a staple around your kitchen. This French Bread recipe can be converted into Garlic Bread to accompany any Italian dish, sliced up for an A.M. treat of French Toast, or just enjoyed with your favorite soup or bisque.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Into a large warm mixing bowl, pour warm water, then stir in sugar, salt, oil, and half of the flour and yeast.
- 2Beat vigorously for 2 or 3 minutes.
- 3Stir in remaining flour until all dry ingredients are completely mixed inches.
- 4Let your dough mixer or machine kneed the dough for a further 8 minutes to really get the gluten working in the flour to create a softer bread.
- 5Once the mixing is done, transfer dough to a greased bowl and cover with a dough towel or plastic wrap.
- 6Let the dough rest for 20 minutes. (Time this.)
- 7At the end of the 20 minutes, punch the dough down; two punches should do it.
- 8Then set the time again for 10 minutes; at the end of the 10 minutes, punch the dough down again.
- 9Repeat the ten minute intervals five times.
- 10After the 5th time of punching down the dough, turn the dough onto a floured board; knead only enough to coat dough with enough flour so that it can be handled.
- 11Divide the dough into 2 parts.
- 12Roll each part of dough into a rectangle about 4 x 12 inches and roll up like a jelly roll, rolling from the long side.
- 13Pinch end to seal.
- 14Arrange on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam spray and sprinkled with cornmeal.
- 15Allow the two loaves to rise for a further 30 minutes.
- 16With a very sharp knife, cut 4 gashes at an angle on top, then brush with beaten whole egg.
- 17If desired, sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.
- 18Bake immediately at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until light to medium brown.
- 19Remove from baking sheets immediately and cool.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fabulous French Bread
Serving Size: 1 (35 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 42
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 76.4
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 168.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 2.2 g