Recipe by MsKittyKat
This is our family's favorite bean recipe. Hope you enjoy.
Top Review by Bev
Deborah, these beans are a refreshing change of pace from the usual bean recipes. A lovely combination of flavors, with just the right amount of sweetness, which come together to develop this delightful side dish! I made exactly as directed. Thank you, Deborah, for sharing this recipe!
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans reber butter beans, drained
- 2 cans lima beans, drained
- 2 cans dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can baked beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Brown bacon in a large stockpot until crisp.
- Drain on paper towels reserving 3-4 tablespoons drippings.
- Saute onions in bacon fat until softened and translucent.
- Add brown sugar and vinegar.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and beans.
- Bring back to a boil.
- Transfer to a baking dish and bake for 1 1/4 hours covered.
- Add bacon bits to top and bake for an additional 5 minutes.