Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
South Beach Diet Phase 1
- 1⁄2 cup all-white liquid egg substitute
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 (1 g) packets Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 0.5 (1 g) packet Splenda sugar substitute
- Mix first seven ingredients in a small bowl. (The baking powder blobs up so you have to stir really well until it dissolves).
- Spray a heated pan with non-stick spray and pour in half of the mixture. It will immediately sort of fluff up like a pancake. Brown on one side and flip. I cooked about 2 minutes on each side.
- The "frosting" for this is optional; mix together the last three ingredients in a small cup and spread on pancakes. You can experiment with the ingredients to alter the sweetness. Also, try topping with some fat free yogurt in phase 2.
These are amazing. I can finally eat pancakes again! This recipe doubles and triples well too. The trick is to stir often with a whisk to get lots of air bubbles in there.
Turned out pretty good, but a little on the sweet side... Next time I'll only add one Splenda packet. Thanks for the post!
The cakes turned out as expected as per the directions. The icing was ok, i prefered sugar free syrup. Could have used more cinnamon to cover the bland taste of the flax, I used a quarter tsp. perhaps some natural-style PB would add some great flavor and protien. will try this next time and report back.