Recipe by Vino Girl
From Home Cooking Magazine (November-December 2004)
Top Review by WicklewoodWench
My husband, who is stilll fighting with his suger levels and waistline since Christmas, has been begging me for days to make this,,,I think I can now say you are his new best friend. It was lovely and light and tasted delicious. The only changes I made were to use 1/2 sugar and 1/2 Splenda, I also changed the flour to my own gf flour mix.
I loved the idea from a previous reviewer for muffins but I also think it would make a delicious base for a caribbean trifle,,,,now there's an idea for a recipe!!!
- 4 egg whites or 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) package fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Spray 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- CAKE: Beat egg whites and sugar until blended.
- In another bowl, combine flour and baking soda.
- Beat into wet ingredients.
- Add pineapple and vanilla extract.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until it tests done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- FROSTING: Gradually whisk in confectioners’ sugar into cream cheese and vanilla.
- Frost cake with a knife, or by pouring it on if the frosting is thin.