From Home Cooking Magazine (November-December 2004)
Make and share this Fabulous Fat-free Pineapple Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Spray 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- CAKE: Beat egg whites and sugar until blended.
- In another bowl, combine flour and baking soda.
- Beat into wet ingredients.
- Add pineapple and vanilla extract.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until it tests done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- FROSTING: Gradually whisk in confectioners’ sugar into cream cheese and vanilla.
- Frost cake with a knife, or by pouring it on if the frosting is thin.
My husband, who is stilll fighting with his suger levels and waistline since Christmas, has been begging me for days to make this,,,I think I can now say you are his new best friend. It was lovely and light and tasted delicious. The only changes I made were to use 1/2 sugar and 1/2 Splenda, I also changed the flour to my own gf flour mix.
I loved the idea from a previous reviewer for muffins but I also think it would make a delicious base for a caribbean trifle,,,,now there's an idea for a recipe!!!
I possibly should have checked whether the sugar and egg whites were just mixed together (I did this), or if they were prepared like a merrangue. It worked, but would it be different the other way? I used 10oz fresh pineapple that I whizzed in the food processor, added a handful of chopped dried apricots and some candied peel. I subbed 1/4 cup flour for wholemeal, and only used 1.5 cups sugar, as suggested by other reviewers. I baked some of my mixture in mini muffin pans which turned out pretty well (and good portion control!) and the rest in a loaf pan. Stick to shallow baking receptacles as recommended in the recipe. It turned out OK in the end, but after AGES in the oven.
I baked this cake using 1/2 cup egg substitute as suggested in the recipe. I did not frost it because I cut it into individual portions, wrapped each in plastic wrap, placed in a big ziplock bag, and put it all in the freezer for snacking on throughout the week. The pineapple flavor was wonderful. The cake was a bit too sweet for my taste, so the next time I bake this (and there will be a next time!) I plan to reduce the sugar by about 1/2 cup. Thanks so much for a yummy fat free recipe.