Recipe by Delectable Bites
This recipe is from the Neiman Marcus cookbook, Pure and Simple. It was served in their Dallas store. Not low calorie, but so yummy! Great on a cold winter day or for a super bowl party. This calls for fried tortilla strips, but when I'm in a time crunch I just serve with tortilla chips.
- 1⁄2 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 (4 ounce) cans mild green chilies, chopped and drained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans plum tomatoes, drained, seeded and finely chopped
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cut into bits
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- garlic powder, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 12 ounces cooked chicken breasts, finely chopped (optional)
- corn tortilla strips, julienned and fried crisp
- green onion, chopped
- monterey jack cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onion in butter over moderately-low heat in a saucepan, stirring occasionally until onion is softened. Add chilies and tomatoes. Cook mixture 8 to 10 minutes over moderate heat until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cream cheese. Maintain moderate-to-low heat until cream cheese melts.
- Stir in chicken broth, half-and-half, lemon juice, spices and chicken (if using). Heat soup over moderate heat until hot, but do not boil.
- Sprinkle tortilla strips, green onions and Monterey Jack cheese over individual servings.