Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from the Neiman Marcus cookbook, Pure and Simple. It was served in their Dallas store. Not low calorie, but so yummy! Great on a cold winter day or for a super bowl party. This calls for fried tortilla strips, but when I'm in a time crunch I just serve with tortilla chips.
- 1⁄2 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 (4 ounce) cans mild green chilies, chopped and drained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans plum tomatoes, drained, seeded and finely chopped
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cut into bits
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- garlic powder, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 12 ounces cooked chicken breasts, finely chopped (optional)
- corn tortilla strips, julienned and fried crisp
- green onion, chopped
- monterey jack cheese, grated
- Cook onion in butter over moderately-low heat in a saucepan, stirring occasionally until onion is softened. Add chilies and tomatoes. Cook mixture 8 to 10 minutes over moderate heat until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cream cheese. Maintain moderate-to-low heat until cream cheese melts.
- Stir in chicken broth, half-and-half, lemon juice, spices and chicken (if using). Heat soup over moderate heat until hot, but do not boil.
- Sprinkle tortilla strips, green onions and Monterey Jack cheese over individual servings.
This is easy to make and it tasted great. I can see ways to make this into a dip. Look at the recipe and add more cream cheese. My whole family loved this.