Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This cherry pie is quite unique. Instead of the usual crust topping, it is topped with a coconut custard. It is from my late mother's recipe file and was given to her by one of her sisters. Enjoy!
- 1 9" unbaked pie shell
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Pour half of the can of cherry pie filling into the pie shell, sprinkle with almond extract, and add the rest of the pie filling.
- The almond extract really brings out the flavor of the cherries for a"just picked" taste.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- While pie is baking, beat eggs and stir in sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract and coconut.
- Remove pie from oven and pour or spoon egg-coconut mixture over the top of the pie.
- Return pie to oven and bake an additional 25-30 minutes or until brown.
This pie is exceptional! The almond flavoring really does enhance the cherry flavor! The topping is attractive and tasty...a wonderful change from run-of-the-mill cherry pie. Ease of preparation....a breeze!! My topping wasn't very custard-like, though. I dutifully poured it all atop the rest of the filling. Much of it ran over during baking, which might account for my results. Nonetheless, this one is a "keeper," and the friend for whom I made it consumed it with gusto!!! Thank you!!!
It is what it say's FABULOUS . The almond extract did bring out the flavor of the pie . The topping is very good . I did make one change I used two cans of pie filling instead of one. Thank You