Recipe by Warren Slaughter
This cherry pie is quite unique. Instead of the usual crust topping, it is topped with a coconut custard. It is from my late mother's recipe file and was given to her by one of her sisters. Enjoy!
Top Review by The Reality Gourmet
This pie is exceptional! The almond flavoring really does enhance the cherry flavor! The topping is attractive and tasty...a wonderful change from run-of-the-mill cherry pie. Ease of preparation....a breeze!! My topping wasn't very custard-like, though. I dutifully poured it all atop the rest of the filling. Much of it ran over during baking, which might account for my results. Nonetheless, this one is a "keeper," and the friend for whom I made it consumed it with gusto!!! Thank you!!!
- 1 9" unbaked pie shell
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Pour half of the can of cherry pie filling into the pie shell, sprinkle with almond extract, and add the rest of the pie filling.
- The almond extract really brings out the flavor of the cherries for a"just picked" taste.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- While pie is baking, beat eggs and stir in sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract and coconut.
- Remove pie from oven and pour or spoon egg-coconut mixture over the top of the pie.
- Return pie to oven and bake an additional 25-30 minutes or until brown.