Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄2-1 cup margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 1⁄2-4 cups powdered sugar
- Mix dry cake ingredients.
- Add carrots, oil and eggs.
- Stir till all is wet.
- Add nuts, (optional) Put in greased and floured 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Bake at 325* for 50-55 minutes .
- Cream together cream cheese, margarine, vanilla Add powdered sugar.
- Spread over cooled cake.
Made this cake for World 'Zaar day and my hubbie's birthday. He loved the cake and icing. I think if I made it again I would add some vanilla extract to the cake. In the Deep South pecans are traditional for carrot cakes, but I tried the walnuts and they were good. I mixed them into the frosting too.
I also used Butter and added 1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg and cloves.Nice moist cake and kept well.
I tried the cake with carrtos first and it was very tasty. Then I swiched the carrots with apples and added some more chunky apples in the middle of the cake with 1 cup of walnuts. Worths trying...