I saw this recipe on T.V. somewhere several years ago, and I've been making it ever since. I get lazy and don't bother to broil the grapefrut any more, but it still tastes great! Even my 3-yr. old now eats grapefruit this way.
- Cut grapefruit in half (midway between the stem-end and the dot on the opposite end).
- Sprinkle brown sugar over grapefruit sections, using more or less as desired.
- Grapefruit can be eaten as is, or broiled.
- To broil, put halves sugar-side up on a cookie sheet in the oven and set oven on broil for a few minutes.
- The brown sugar should melt and start to get crispy.
- Eat immediately by spooning out the half-sections of grapefruit.
I've never been a fan of grapefruit, but I received a basket full of them as a gift. This recipe is by far the best way to eat grapefruit. I added a little pinch of cinnamon to each half. Yum! I strongly suggest cutting sections prior to broiling. Otherwise, you have a very sticky mess on your hands!
I tried one half with powdered stevia (concentrated) and one half with Sucanat (I don't buy brown sugar). I sprinkled both halves with cinnamon. I appreciated the instructions on how to broil them. I liked the half with stevia better - it was sweeter, with less sugar. I'll bet honey would be good, just maybe messier. And the previous reviewer's suggestion on cutting sections before broiling is a great idea!
Mmmm. I've also sectioned the grapefruit and broiled it with with the brown sugar in custard dishes. It makes a nice, healthy dessert.