Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe has been in my family for years and it is a favorite, and its much easier than it looks.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 1⁄2 lbs round steaks, cut into strips
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 cups beef broth
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- Melt 1/3 of the butter. Add onions and saute until golden. Remove onions and set aside.
- Add 1/3 more of the butter and saute the mushrooms until lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining butter. Roll beef in flour and saute until browned.
- Add broth, salt and onions. Cover and simmer gently until beef is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, sour cream, heavy cream and mushrooms.
- Heat through and enjoy served over rice or noodles.
Very disappointed. I have made beef stroganoff in the past with no problem. This stroganoff was way to watery. Too much liquid.
Wow!!! This really hit the spot! I was in Ukraine in October for Sukkot and after making this recipe I felt like I was back again! I'll be returning for Purim in two weeks and I hope to make another comparison. This will definately be added to my repertoire of meals.