Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a wonderful beef stew recipe that I found on the About.com website. I have made it several times, and it always generates raves. I don't add the corn starch and water when I make it. Also, I use beef roast instead of stew meat. I think it gives it a richer, heartier flavor.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef, lean, cut in 1-inch cubes (I use a roast instead)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet Lipton Beef and Onion Soup mix
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced (Not just 1 rib, but the whole stalk)
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, with juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (I use the minced garlic in a jar)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- Put all ingredients, except for cornstarch and water, in a slow cooker on low heat for 8 to 10 hours.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with water (if desired).
- Turn heat to high and stir until thickened.