Recipe by Vindwyn
This is a wonderful beef stew recipe that I found on the About.com website. I have made it several times, and it always generates raves. I don't add the corn starch and water when I make it. Also, I use beef roast instead of stew meat. I think it gives it a richer, heartier flavor.
Top Review by Annacia
This makes an excellent stew with all of the things we like, I did brown the beef before putting it all into the pot just because I like the finished look of it batter. It was rich tasting and the perfect thing for a rainy fall dinner. I made cheese biscuits to go with it and I must say that I didn't bother with the thickening because I've never really had good luck with stews getting thicker in the crock (I must have a really slow slow cooker!) and I was too lazy to mess up another pot just for that.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef, lean, cut in 1-inch cubes (I use a roast instead)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet Lipton Beef and Onion Soup mix
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced (Not just 1 rib, but the whole stalk)
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, with juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (I use the minced garlic in a jar)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water