Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I learned to cook this dish from a man who cooked for my husband and me when we were staying in Mexico. It was our favorite breakfast dish, so I asked him to show me how he makes it (as I took notes). I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 10 fresh tomatillos
- 1⁄4 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄8 cup onion, finely chopped
- 8 corn tortillas, chopped into 1-inch squares
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Cotija cheese
- Boil 10 tomatillos in water until tender.
- In a frying pan, heat oil. Add tortillas & stir constantly.
- Place tomatillos, garlic & about 2 T onion in a blender with about 3/4 C water (from cooking tomatillos).
- Add salt to taste, & oregano & blend thoroughly.
- Add remaining onion to cooked tortillas in frying pan & cook until translucent. Season with salt.
- Add tomatillo mixture to frying pan & stir. Cover with lid & continue to cook on medium high heat until liquid is absorbed by tortillas. Taste & season with salt if needed.
- Sprinkle with Cotija cheese. Serve immediately, while warm.