Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Hearty Spanish Bean Soup, in 'Three Guys From Miami Cook Cuban'
- 1 yellow onion, cut in bite-size square chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, cut in bite-size square chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in bite-size square chunks
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, mashed with 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans butter beans
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 1 lb smoked ham, cut in chunks
- 1 teaspoon achiote (Bijol powder)
- black pepper
- masa harina (2 tablespoons mixed with 1/2 cup water)
- 1 cup whole milk
- In an 8-quart stockpot, saute onion and peppers in heated olive oil to release flavor, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in mashed garlic and chopped bacon during the last couple of minutes; stir constantly to prevent garlic from burning.
- Add 3 cans of butter beans, including the liquid.
- Add in chicken stock, sherry, and ham chunks; stir in Bijol powder.
- Take the remaining can of butter beans, mash them, and stir into the pot.
- Simmer on low for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add in chunks of morcilla or chorizo as desired, during the last 20 minutes of simmering.
- Add masa flour mixed with water to thicken, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the milk, bring almost to a boil, remove from heat and serve.