2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Hearty Spanish Bean Soup, in 'Three Guys From Miami Cook Cuban'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 yellow onion, cut in bite-size square chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, cut in bite-size square chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in bite-size square chunks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, mashed with 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans butter beans
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup sherry wine
- 1 lb smoked ham, cut in chunks
- 1 teaspoon achiote (Bijol powder)
- black pepper
- masa harina (2 tablespoons mixed with 1/2 cup water)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1In an 8-quart stockpot, saute onion and peppers in heated olive oil to release flavor, about 3-4 minutes.
- 2Add in mashed garlic and chopped bacon during the last couple of minutes; stir constantly to prevent garlic from burning.
- 3Add 3 cans of butter beans, including the liquid.
- 4Add in chicken stock, sherry, and ham chunks; stir in Bijol powder.
- 5Take the remaining can of butter beans, mash them, and stir into the pot.
- 6Simmer on low for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 7Add in chunks of morcilla or chorizo as desired, during the last 20 minutes of simmering.
- 8Add masa flour mixed with water to thicken, stirring constantly.
- 9Stir in the milk, bring almost to a boil, remove from heat and serve.
Nutritional Facts for Fabada Asturiana
Serving Size: 1 (432 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 484.5
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 55.4 mg
- Sodium 1741.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 26.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: