Prep 2 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
Adapted from The Complete Round the World Meat Cookbook.
Make and share this Fa-Sool-Ya Ib Zeyt (Arabian Beef and Bean Stew) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup dried white bean
- 3 lbs boneless beef roast, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups hot beef broth, divided
- 3⁄4 cup raw rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled diced tomatoes
- Place beans in a large pot.
- Cover with water.
- Bring water to a boil, turn off heat, and let stand 1 hour.
- Cover beans with fresh water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cook for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a large pot.
- Brown beef and onions.
- Add beans, salt, pepper, cinnamon, bay leaf and 1 cup of broth.
- Cover and cook over low heat 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in rice, tomatoes and remaining broth.
- Cook 25 minutes longer, or until meat and beans are tender.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.