Recipe by DeSouter
This incredible recipe came from a cookbook written by a New York City firefighter, benefiting the city's special burn unit in a Bronx hospital. My sister, a rice pudding afficianado had rated this as the best of the best.
Top Review by SmoothRipple
I've been searching for a great rice pudding recipe for awhile and this is the best recipe I've tried in a long time. My search is over! This will be my all time favorite rice pudding recipe from now on! BTW, I made this without raisins and it is still delicious!!!
- 1 quart whole milk or 1 quart 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white rice (rinsed in cold water and drained)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Place milk and salt into a saucepan.
- When milk is warm, add rice.
- Bring to a slow boil and then reduce to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Cook until the rice is soft, about 35-40 minutes.
- In a large bowl, blend the eggs, 3/4 c evaporated milk, vanilla and sugar.
- Add 1/4 cup evaporated milk to the hot rice.
- Add the raisins.
- When rice is soft, spoon about 1 cup of the rice mixture into the blended egg mixture, then pour the mixture into the remaining rice and cook until bubbly and thick.
- Place into a bowl, sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on top if you wish.
- Refrigerate until cold.