This is great for times when you don't want to cook, but still want a hot meal. My Dad has always made it, and over the years I have tweaked his recipe a bit. It is very easy to make, takes very little time, and the leftovers are great. It is a meal in itself, though I sometimes enjoy it with a couple of warm flour tortillas.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Heat the canned chili and any optional ingredients on the stove.
- Spread a thin layer of Fritos along the bottom of an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish.
- Pour about half of the heated chili evenly over the bottom layer of Fritos.
- Completely cover the chili layer with a thicker layer of Fritos.
- Sprinkle about half the shredded cheese atop the Fritos.
- Pour the remainder of the chili atop the Frito/cheese layer.
- Completely cover the top chili layer with another thick layer of Fritos, then sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Bake in 350 oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly around edges and top cheese is melted.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before serving.