Recipe by Julie in TX
This was the winning recipe in 1982 in the Athens, Texas Black-Eyed Pea Cookoff. A Southern tradition says that you will have good luck all year long if you eat black-eyed peas on New Years. This is an interesting dish to serve, but I don't know how much luck it will bring you! It may be made using left over roasted chicken. I didn't include cooking time for the chicken or rice in the recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups black-eyed peas, cooked &,drained (may use canned)
- 1 cup rice, cooked
- 1 cup cooked chicken, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine black-eyed peas, rice and chicken.
- Add celery, onions mayonnaise, salt, pepper and hot sauce.
- Stir well.
- Pack into an oiled 5 1/2 cup mold.
- Refrigerate until set.
- Unmold and spread with Avocado Topping.
- AVOCADO TOPPING:.
- Blend ingredients together until smooth.
- Smooth over black-eyed pea ring as though frosting a cake.