Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a juicy, fall apart tender roast. The secret is in the baking, tightly covered and slow cooked with moist heat. Can be made a day ahead, and just reheat for 30-45 minutes with the same excellent results.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) eye of round roast
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (1 1/8 ounce) package brown gravy mix (Knorrs Classic Brown Gravy Mix)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Place roast in a lightly greased Dutch oven, and top with a mound of sliced onions.
- Stir together remaining ingredients and pour over the top of the roast, covering all.
- Before placing lid on Dutch oven, cover with a double layer of aluminum foil, molding to pot. Place lid on top.
- Bake, tightly covered, at 325 degrees for 3 hours and 30 minutes or until tender. Slowly cooked with moist heat is going to make this roast delicious.
- After baking, cool roast completely, remove from Dutch oven, reserving the gravy.
- Cut roast into slices, about 1/4 inch thick, and arrange in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. I use an electric knife for perfect slices. Pour gravy over sliced meat covering all, cover and refrigerate (up to 3 days).
- To Reheat: Bake tightly covered, at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until thouroughly heated.
Very good, although I followed the recipe exactly with a 4 pound roast it was a bit dry, we all enjoyed it anyhow. Next time I will cook for a little less time. Thanks for a wonderful recipe.
This made a very flavorful and tender roast even though I overcooked it a bit to medium well.. I used cream of brocolli soup and au jus mix. Cream of mushroom would have been better but the cream of brocolli tasted fine too. I will follow your cooking instructions more closely next time. I am always late in starting dinner so I roasted at 350 to speed up the cooking but you are right, slower is better. We enjoyed this, my four year old and her grandmother both had three helpings. Thanks!
I really liked this. I changed it just a bit, to fit our tastes. I used 2 (2#) Eye of rounds side by side and upped cooking time 45 minutes. I omitted onion, used 3/4 cup water and 2 pkgs McCormick brown Gravy mix. I used 6-7 garlic cloves sliced in place of onion. Love the technique. Next time I would like to make and let sit overnight and reheat to intensify flavors. The gravy is phenonemal! Smelled so yummy while cooking. Will roast some veggies tonight to make a stew with lefttover meat. TY for posting.