Recipe by DigitalAether
This pie is a lot of work to do properly but if you take the time the results are fantastic. One person has told me that this pie is 'stab an old man in the throat good'. I give him a piece whenever I make this so he doesn't go assaulting the elderly!
Top Review by Kay D.
This is an awesome pie! It's even worth beating eggs for 20 minutes.:) It is indeed an incredibly rich pie; I cut mine into 8 slices, but probably should have cut it into 10 or 12. My piece almost did me in, but it is absolutely delicious. I will most definitely make this again. Thank you for a great recipe, I look forward to more. Welcome to zaar!
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham crackers
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup unsalted butter (chilled)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
Whipped Cream and Chocolate Topping
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 6 tablespoons hershey chocolate syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Make crumbs out of the graham crackers (about 12- 15 crackers) by covering them with plastic wrap and rolling over them with a rolling pin until you have fine crumbs.
- Mix crackers, sugar, and butter in a mixing bowl with a mixer on low speed, hands or a fork, until you have a constancy of course meal.
- Press into a 9-inch pie pan.
- Bake at 375°F for 8- 10 minutes.
- With an electric mixer cream the butter and sugar until you get a light airy texture.
- (You will get best results if you use paddle attachments on the mixer. Regular beaters are fine but if you use this, stop occasionally and clean out the butter/sugar mixture with a rubber spatula as the blades can become clogged.) Do not over cream the butter.
- If the butter starts to break down and separate, rechill for 5- 15 minutes.
- Add the cooled chocolate and measured vanilla.
- One at a time add eggs.
- With your electric mixer beat a minimum of 5 minutes for each egg before adding the next and after the last egg the mixture should be VERY smooth.
- Move the mixture into the graham cracker pie crust.
- Whip cream until it starts to stiffen.
- Add the vanilla and sugar and beat until peaks form and hold.
- Top the pie with the whipped cream.
- Drizzle the chocolate syrup on top of the pie in a random pattern.
- Grate the unsweetened chocolate on top of the pie.
- Chill the pie for 3- 24 hours.
- The toppings can be added after chilling if preferred (chill time is listed as cook time).