Recipe by Dreamgoddess
It's pretty rich, but my husband loves it! I serve him this on special occasions, like Valentines Day. You could use another kind of seafood or a combination.
- 1 lb medium shrimp, poached and peeled (see below)
- 8 ounces fresh white mushrooms, cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, slivered
- 1 lb jumbo pasta shells (about 1 inch long when uncooked)
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese, finely grated, it seems like a lot, but it good that way
- 1 cup firmly packed Fontina cheese, cut in small cubes
- 1 (5 1/4 ounce) packageof boursin garlic & herb spreadable cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (probably less if you are using regular table salt)
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 stalks celery, with leaves
- 1 garlic clove
Directions See How It's Made
- Poach shrimp: combine poaching ingredients, bring to a simmer, add shrimp and turn off heat.
- When shrimp are pink, drain and remove the shells.
- Boil pasta according to package directions, drain and reserve.
- In a large non-stick skillet, sauté mushrooms and shallots in 1 T butter, remove mushrooms when they are golden and have released some of their juices and set aside.
- Melt remaining 2 T butter in the shallot pan.
- Stir in flour to make a roux.
- Quickly whisk in wine, then Half and Half, continue stirring until its smooth and creamy.
- Add Boursin cheese and stir until well blended- do not boil, cook it gently add salt to your taste.
- Grease a 9x13 casserole dish with butter.
- Dump in the pasta, mushrooms, Fontina cheese cubes and shrimp.
- Combine to make sure everything is evenly distributed.
- Pour the sauce over the top, you might need to coax it down by lifting the pasta and shrimp with a large spoon- it should be all creamy.
- Top with all that shredded Gruyere cheese, make sure it goes all the way to the edges.
- Bake 350°F for 30 minutes, it should be all bubbly and a little brown- just a little--on top.
- Proceed directly to the gym the next morning!