Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 mins
For a very low-fat dish this is really good, it has virtually no fat as the chicken stock is substituted for oil, and you won't miss the oil at all! You can double the sauce ingredients if desired :)
- 3 uncooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 2 stalks celery, diagonally sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut in strips
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut in strips
- 1⁄3 cup pineapple juice or 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar (can use more)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup mangoes or 1 cup pineapple chunk
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, bring chicken and stock to a simmer over med-high heat.
- Add celery, onion and sweet peppers; cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink inside, and veggies are almost tender-crisp.
- Mix together the juice, brown sugar, vinegar and soy sauce until blended.
- Stir into skillet; bring to a boil.
- Cook, stirring for about 2 minutes, or until glossy and thickened.
- Mix the cornstarch with a small amount of cold water and add to the simmering sauce to thicken.
- Add mango or pineapple chunks (if using), salt and pepper; simmer for 2 minutes, or until heated through.
I was hungry for sweet & sour chicken so I did a Google search. When Kittencal's name popped up I knew I found the right recipe - and I was not wrong. Thank you once again for providing a delcious meal to our table!!! This meal was probably the brightest part of my entire week. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us. I'm adding it to my favorites cookbook.
Very yummy!!! Used boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. Doubled the sauce and added carrots as suggested by others. Mixed my cooked rice directly in with it.
Excellent! We have leftover chicken so we sauted the vegetables in broth, then added cooked chicken. Definately a keeper. Thanks