Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Applesauce takes the place of butter to make these very low-fat! --- feel free to add in some raisins.
Top Review by cat_ashwood
What a great recipe. I was looking for something to use up about 12 small plums. I made the recipe as indicated but added 2 teaspoons vanilla and the diced plums to it. It could easily be used as dessert just add some vanilla icecream or cool whip.
- 118.29 ml boiling water
- 118.29 ml all-bran cereal
- 1 large egg (or use 1/4 cup egg substitute)
- 236.59 ml buttermilk (use low fat if desired)
- 118.29 ml sugar (can use more sugar, or use sweetener equivalent to 1/2 cup)
- 59.14 ml applesauce
- 177.44 ml whole wheat flour
- 118.29 ml all-purpose white flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml bran buds (Kellogg's All Bran cereal preferred) or 236.59 ml 100% all-bran cereal (Kellogg's All Bran cereal preferred)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
- In a small heat-proof bowl mix together the 1/2 cup All Bran cereal with boiling water; let stand until softened.
- In a large bowl mix/whisk egg (or egg substitute) buttermilk, sugar and applesauce; add in the softened bran/water mixture to the egg mixture.
- In a bowl mix together both flours, baking soda and salt; add to the wet mixture; mix only just until combined.
- Stir in the 1 cup Bran Buds or 100% Bran cereal with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer the mixture to prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the bars test done.