1/1 Photo of Extreme Low-Fat Buttermilk-Bran Breakfast Squares
1 hr 10 mins
Applesauce takes the place of butter to make these very low-fat! --- feel free to add in some raisins.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup all-bran cereal
- 1 large egg (or use 1/4 cup egg substitute)
- 1 cup buttermilk (use low fat if desired)
- 1/2 cup sugar (can use more sugar, or use sweetener equivalent to 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bran buds (Kellogg's All Bran cereal preferred) or 1 cup 100% all-bran cereal (Kellogg's All Bran cereal preferred)
- 1Set oven to 350°F.
- 2Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
- 3In a small heat-proof bowl mix together the 1/2 cup All Bran cereal with boiling water; let stand until softened.
- 4In a large bowl mix/whisk egg (or egg substitute) buttermilk, sugar and applesauce; add in the softened bran/water mixture to the egg mixture.
- 5In a bowl mix together both flours, baking soda and salt; add to the wet mixture; mix only just until combined.
- 6Stir in the 1 cup Bran Buds or 100% Bran cereal with a wooden spoon.
- 7Transfer the mixture to prepared baking pan.
- 8Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the bars test done.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Extreme Low-Fat Buttermilk-Bran Breakfast Squares
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 160.2
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 24.5 mg
- Sodium 383.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 15.7 g
- Protein 4.8 g