Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Applesauce takes the place of butter to make these very low-fat! --- feel free to add in some raisins.
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup all-bran cereal
- 1 large egg (or use 1/4 cup egg substitute)
- 1 cup buttermilk (use low fat if desired)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (can use more sugar, or use sweetener equivalent to 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bran buds (Kellogg's All Bran cereal preferred) or 1 cup 100% all-bran cereal (Kellogg's All Bran cereal preferred)
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
- In a small heat-proof bowl mix together the 1/2 cup All Bran cereal with boiling water; let stand until softened.
- In a large bowl mix/whisk egg (or egg substitute) buttermilk, sugar and applesauce; add in the softened bran/water mixture to the egg mixture.
- In a bowl mix together both flours, baking soda and salt; add to the wet mixture; mix only just until combined.
- Stir in the 1 cup Bran Buds or 100% Bran cereal with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer the mixture to prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the bars test done.
I love the fact that these YUM tasting brekky bars are almost FF and LC. I used 1/2 cup Splenda for the sweet part. I will make these again with the addition of raisins or blueberries as toni indicated. (didn't read that part until it was to late.) I also didn't have branbuds cereal and so just went with using another full cup of all-bran cereal to the mix. Still turned out very well. TY dear Kitzey.~ Made for 123HitWonders!
These were delicious and a quicker variation on a bran muffin. The buttermilk and applesauce manage to keep this moist and tender without much added fat. My own squares were made with egg substitute and 1/2 white sugar and 1/2 baking Splenda. Also tossed in a cup of frozen blueberries which added a touch of sweetness and flavor. Next time, I want to do raisins and a teaspoon of cinnamon. Thanks!