Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is wonderful topped with vanilla ice cream :)
Top Review by HEP MEP
I'm afraid this one didn't work out for me. I don't know if my lemons weren't juicy enough or what, but this turned out extremely boring rather than extremely lemony, which is what we all were waiting for. Oh, well....sorry.
- 1 cup butter, softened (no subs please!)
- 3 1⁄2 cups white sugar, divided
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 large lemons
- 1 -2 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped walnuts
- vanilla ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Finely grate the peel from ONE lemon, and squeeze out the juice from ONE lemon; set aside.
- With an electric mixer beat the butter, 1-1/2 cups sugar, and the lemon extract (if using) until light and fluffy for about 4-5 minutes (no less than 4 minutes, no sugar granules should remain in the creamed mixture!).
- Crack eggs open in a dish, making certain that there are no shells.
- Add in a couple at a time to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition(beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes).
- In a small bowl, mix the flour with baking powder.
- Add in 1 cup at a time to the creamed mixture; beat until well combined.
- Stir in chopped walnuts.
- Transfer the batter to prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the syrup.
- Combine remaining 2 cups sugar with 2 cups water.
- Slice remaining lemon into wedges.
- Squeeze out the juice into sugar/water, the drop in a couple wedges.
- Bring to a boil; boil 5 minutes.
- Remove lemon wedges.
- When cake has finished baking, pour the hot lemon syrup over warm cake.
- Cool cake and serve with vanilla ice cream.