From Women's World magazine Feb 2009. Although this is listed as a Diet soup, it is really delicious and I would eat it any time!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, preferably extra virgin
- 2 onions, large white chopped or sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken, boneless skinless diced
- 1 carrot, large finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, large minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced with seeds
- 2 teaspoons thyme or 2 teaspoons oregano, finely minced
- 8 cups chicken broth, fat-free
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves, packed
- 1 tomato, large finely diced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 7 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- lemon wedge (optional)
- 1Heat oil in a large stockpot over med. heat. Add onions and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes (or until chicken is cooked through and onions are lightly browned), stirring occasionally.
- 3Add carrot, garlic, jalapeno and thyme or oregano. Cook another 2 minutes.
- 4Stir in broth and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil. Add beans, spinach and tomato. Bring back to a boil.
- 5Turn off the heat and add salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Sprinkle each serving with 1 T parmesan cheese. If desired add a squirt of lemon.
- 7NOTES: To finely chop carrot, I coursely chop, put in a blender, add water to cover, then blend until carrots are desired consistency. Then drain and use in recipe. If you want to keep some of the nutrients, measure the water, and then subtract that amount of liquid from the broth. I also added the spinach when I add the carrot, garlic & jalapeno so it gets cooked more.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Extreme Diet Soup
Serving Size: 1 (515 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 394.3
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 77.3 mg
- Sodium 1026.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 30.9 g